Chimichurri is an uncooked sauce with origins in Argentina and Uruguay. It is commonly eaten with roasted chicken, shrimp, pork chops, and other meat preparations. It is also served with grilled vegetables and baked grains as a dressing for salads. Further, it is used as a topping for rice, pizza, and eggs!
The sauce is eaten fresh and has many health benefits. It is a superior alternative to sauces and dressings that are high in sodium, sugar, unhealthy fats, and calories.
So, is chimichurri good for weight loss? Let’s discover.
What is in chimichurri?
Chimichurri is relished for its flavorful taste. It is a simple, easy-to-make, uncooked recipe that requires these ingredients –
- Fresh parsley leaves
- Garlic cloves
- Red/white wine vinegar
- Red chili flakes
- Olive oil
- Dried oregano
- Black pepper
Well, these are the ingredients for the authentic green chimichurri. If you want to make the red chimichurri that is popular in the US, you must use red bell pepper instead of black pepper. You must also add paprika and use only red wine vinegar.
The process of using these ingredients to make the sauce is very simple. You only need to finely chop the parsley and garlic cloves, add the other seasoning ingredients, and give it a good mix.
You can rest the sauce for about 30 minutes before serving. While chimichurri is mostly eaten fresh and at room temperature, some people prefer it refrigerated and rested overnight.
While these are the authentic ingredients and preparation methods for chimichurri, the sauce is also prepared in several other versions. Some varieties contain these ingredients –
- Red onion
Let’s now take a glance at the health aspects of chimichurri.
|Nutrition Facts – One Serving|
|Vitamin A||1310.5 IU|
|Vitamin C||20.3 milligrams|
Calories and Carbs
A serving of chimichurri contains 51 calories, which is the same as that of an apple. This is a small portion of the daily recommended calorie intake of 2,000 for women and 2,500 men for men.
Here is a list of popular sauces and their calorie content.
|Sweet and Sour||27|
Meanwhile, the carbohydrate content in a serving of chimichurri is only 1.3 grams. According to recommendations of the Dietary Guidelines for Americans, a healthy person requires 225-325 grams of carbohydrates in a day.
Looking at sugars, chimichurri contains 0.2 grams of it – which also forms a modest portion of the daily recommended values of 25-36 grams.
Sodium levels of 148.8 milligrams could be high considering the suggestion for a daily intake of fewer than 2,400 milligrams.
Allergy is a response by our body to an environmental substance. Allergens could exist in the air, food, flowers, insects, and chemicals. Different people are allergic to different irritants. The most common symptoms of allergy include itching, eczema, swelling, sneezing, wheezing, rashes, and dizziness.
Food allergies are common. Depending on your immune system, some food ingredients could have an allergic response. According to science, the most prevalent food allergies arise from peanuts, dairy, eggs, wheat, nuts, and meat. Favorably, these components do not exist in chimichurri.
Chimichurri is a healthy sauce with a delectable taste. However, could you be allergic to it? Could any of its ingredients trigger allergies? Let’s examine.
- Parsley – Allergy to parsley is not common. Skin contact with these leaves may cause itching and contact dermatitis. If you are an extremely sensitized person, you could experience tingling in the mouth, wheezing, and nasal irritation by consuming parsley.
- Garlic – Garlic is considered a medicinal herb in many cultures. However, you could be intolerant and allergic to it. In some cases, garlic allergy can lead to anaphylaxis – which is life-threatening. In other cases, the allergy can cause itching in the mouth, swelling in the tongue and throat, wheezing, and a decrease in blood pressure.
- Wine vinegar – Allergy to this ingredient is rare. However, you could have an intolerance to it and experience symptoms like itching, asthma, stomach ache, and hives.
- Red chili flakes – Allergy to red chili flakes, known as cayenne allergy, is not an uncommon thing. If you have this allergy, you will face issues like hoarse voice, vomiting, nausea, wheezing, diarrhea, and stomach ache.
- Olive oil – Allergy to olive oil is extremely rare. In unusual cases, consuming it may cause skin rashes.
- Dried oregano – It is unlikely for a person to be allergic to dried oregano. However, if you have such an allergy, you could experience respiratory and digestive issues.
- Black pepper – Allergy to black pepper is uncommon. If you are a sensitized person, it can cause severe symptoms like anaphylaxis.
As already mentioned, the preparation of chimichurri has deviated from its authentic version. Some people prepare it with cilantro, mint, and red onion. Cilantro can cause allergic reactions like shortness of breath and wheezing. Mint can also result in swelling and stomach ache, while red onion can trigger swelling of the mouth, tongue, and throat.
The trigger to allergies from chimichurri could be higher in an already sensitized person as the cuisine is uncooked. However, the ingredients used are everyday items to which human bodies have adapted well. Nevertheless, if you know that you are allergic to any of the ingredients, we suggest that you avoid, or have less of them.
In children though, in whom allergies are yet to be ascertained, it is suggested that you try with lesser portions of chimichurri.
Is it vegan?
Chimichurri is made with parsley, olive oil, herbs, and spices. It does not contain any dairy products. Therefore, it is vegan.
The ingredients of chimichurri are free of gluten. There are no elements that have gluten protein. Hence, chimichurri is safe to be consumed by celiacs.
Is Chimichurri good for weight loss?
Chimichurri is widely considered a healthy alternative to sauces that are loaded with cheese, oil, cream, sugar, and sodium. It contains only 51 calories, 1.3 grams of carbohydrates, 0.2 grams of sugar, and 148.8 milligrams of sodium.
If you want to cut down calories even further, you can adjust the measure of olive oil you add to the sauce. You could also add lesser salt.
Here’s a quick glance at how the ingredients of chimichurri aid weight loss.
- Parsley – the chief ingredient in chimichurri is seen as a weight loss agent. It is rich in antioxidants and vitamins. It does the job of cleansing your kidney and liver. It is a diuretic that facilitates digestion and cures bloating.
- Garlic – especially eaten raw, like in chimichurri, is a great stimulant for weight loss. Research shows that it effectively cuts belly fat.
- Wine vinegar – acetic acid in it promotes fat burning and suppression of ghrelin, the hunger hormone.
- Red chili flakes – boost metabolism and keeps you feeling full for longer.
- Olive oil – reduces sugar cravings, inflammation, and blood sugar levels.
- Dried oregano – is a wonderful aid for digestion. A healthy digestive system is crucial for weight loss.
- Black pepper – is a great metabolic enhancer and burner of calories.
We can certainly conclude that chimichurri undoubtedly supports healthy weight loss. What’s more – it is also approved under keto, paleo, and whole30 diets.
I am Anand, and I am a business owner and consultant in my day job. I have spent years studying what’s inside the products we buy. ‘Feedrer’ is a wordplay on you-know-who and talks about all things food.